Wednesday 13 November 2013

Critical Reflection: The Next Stage of My Learning

ES1102 was definitely a module I had reservations about. Initially, it seemed rather daunting, as I personally felt my English was already up to a certain standard and this module would probably not do me any good. It just felt like a complete waste of my time.

However, I might have changed my mind about the entire process as the semester drew to a close. ES1102 has helped me learn and realize the common errors in my work, which I blatantly ignored throughout all the years of my learning. It was not the language per se, but the structure and flow of my essay that hindered my writing abilities. In the span of this course, I have learnt that little details ultimately contribute to the final product of writing. Some examples of such aspects that influence the outcome include, the thesis statement, citation and the conclusion. This makes the piece more holistic and complete, as compared to how I would have previously written an article.

Although I’m not completely sure that I have rid myself of any grammatical mistakes or sentence structure issues, I feel that this module serves as a stepping-stone to my improvement. My ideas are now more condensed and succinct and I am able to convey my message across to readers in a more well thought out manner.

ES1102 is beneficial to my current stage in life and will undeniably be beneficial for me in the future. It will assist me when it comes down to academic writing for my future business modules and even in my daily life through job applications or for future careers.

I might not feel as confident about my writing now, but I’m sure in time to come, as I advance in life, the confidence in my writing will show, and I certainly have to thank this module for that.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Leah, for this honest, fairly detailed reflection. I do hope that some of what we have done in the course can prove useful to you in your studies and in the future.

    Best of luck as you continue your learning journey.

    ReplyDelete